My veg garden is now empty except for broccoli plants, which will eventually produce the broccoli florets that we eat. A large heap of raspberry canes and other stuff for a bonfire sits in the middle of the garden awaiting a dry spell so that it can actually catch fire if I light it. The compost heap is working away at the end of the garden and probably needs to be turned over into its sister pen for further decomposing. Then I need to consider what to plant for next year.
Rocket was great last year, though it was difficult to grow. It seems to come into its own in the autumn and winter. Raspberries provided a great crop in the autumn, in just the right portion sizes to be able to enjoy them fresh. I planted lots of beetroot last year, and enjoyed the output, but I'll plant less this year. I didn't get best value from the spinach as it arrived at the wrong time for eating it. There wasn't enough of beans and peas, so I'll plant more of them this year. I always like the small number of sweet corn we get out of the space I allocate for them. I can't justify growing more, as they take up a lot of space, but I will grow the same amount again. Runner beans were good too, but planted a bit late. Leeks were mainly used for soup and came at a time when they are fairly easy to get, so I'll consider their value. I grew potatoes in small quantities as I was given them by Seed Savers, but they aren't worth it in the space I have, and they tend to keep on spreading. Courgettes grew in great quantity and so I used them when they were small, which is the best way to taste them.
Sunday 27 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment