Sunday 1 April 2007

Ironing done, raring to go...

3 weeks worth of ironing done so I'm ready now for the rest of the day. A fresh cup of coffee is brewing and the sun is shining. It's going to be beautiful, though there is still a bit in the air.

I'm trying to teach the dogs that they don't need to defend us from the Martians in the graveyard. Goldie is beginning to understand but Leavy now seems to be taking over. Each time they bark the idea is to distract them, giving them the message that you aren't interested in what is happening outside our garden. I'm doing the distraction by feeding them tiny bits of sausage. It's hard to be consistent in their treatment, though, as I keep getting disturbed for yet another encounter with Martians.

I've been thinking about Pippa and her behaviour on walks. She definitely sees herself as leading them, starting with insisting on choosing her own stick to be thrown for her and refusing to chase any other stick throughout the whole walk. She doesn't come when she is called, unless it suits her, and last week b had got all the way home with the others and had to go back for her. She was still playing in the water at the river and he ended up having to wade in to grab her. She shows agressive behavious towards other dogs who come nearby. It all seems to be a mixture of protectiveness as she sees herself as leader of the pack, but also insisting that as leader she can choose what she wants to do. Definitely a case for a dog psychologist!

No, I'm being too optimistic. Goldie has found his favourite Martian, who digs graves and maintains the area, and got very excited barking at him. This is hard work! I think I'll get out the hoover instead.

No comments: