Friday 27 April 2007

Hedges and growth

Normally you can tell it is 1st May because the first leaves appear on our beech hedge. This year they have appeared already, 5 days early. This is unheard of and changes the world as we know it! I love the green of early leaves and think this is the most beautiful time of the year.

Disaster hit my plans to grow enough food to sustain us (well, sustain us for 1 or 2 meals perhaps). My mini-greenhouse fell over in a gust of wind and knocked over all the seedlings inside it. I thought I had rescued them but today find that the broad bean seedlings, which had been doing so well and were ready to plant out, have gone black and died. The sweet corn may be OK, but isn't very happy. However, the peas and spinach I sowed a couple of weeks ago are now peering above the soil in the main vegetable plot. The potato greenery is also above ground so we might even get a spud.

I decided that Monday was the day that it was to happen. I was going to cycle to work. But, it rained so it didn't happen. Rain stopped by Thursday, but then I had to go to Waterford in the evening so needed my car. Today I was just too tired to get there. Maybe next week will be better.

It is the school committee "season" at the moment. I have spent most of this week and last either on the phone or at committee meetings related to the school. Hassle level is running high and the usual methods of doing business in Quaker committees aren't working as they should. I tried to bring people together for a meeting tomorrow for a Patron meeting to discuss our issues as a committee, but this hasn't been successful. The good news is that the Dept of Education and Science has approved the setting up of the first Quaker national school in the country so we will be able to move our current private school to becoming a state-funded school this September. Hallelujah!

I've now been 6 months in my job and I've realised that I'm enjoying it as I settle in. It's a lovely feeling to enjoy work and feel comfortable in it. Long may it last. Next week we have a visit of big-wigs from the US on Friday so everywhere is being painted and polished ready for the visit. The place is gleaming. The flower-beds have been emptied, though, so I'm wondering what they are intending to plant that will be flowering beautifully for Friday. It's all good fun!

No comments: