There is so much to learn about wine that what I really learnt this weekend is just that. I think, however, that I could attack a wine list with a bit more knowledge, and even be able to pretend I knew my Sauvignon Blancs and Chardonnays from each other. The blind tasting we did yesterday wouldn't have shown that, though.
The food in Ballymaloe is out of this world. Last night we had a six course dinner, with wines to match. It was absolutely splendid! Even breakfasts are wonderful, with really good coffee. There were some people on the wine course who were also attending the 12 week cookery course at Ballymaloe cookery school. Two of them recently retired. Instead of a round-the-world trip they are spending 12 weeks at cookery "boot camp" and having a great time. The husband had never so much as cooked a boiled egg but is thrilled at everything he is learning. It sounds like an excellent course to do (expensive, though, as it is 10,000 smackers for the course without accommodation).
Anyway, now I am very tired and could do with a week off to recover from all the travel I've done over the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately work is too busy to allow for this, though I think I might try to put off a meeting arranged for next weekend in Newtown as I could do with a weekend at home. The weather might even continue to be nice enough to head out into the garden.
Did I tell you that I saw "Slum-dog millionaire" while I was in Dublin? It was excellent. The story line is very clever, and made for an enjoyable movie. I rarely go to films, but had a free evening with no need to entertain with others, so watched it in the film centre at The Square in Tallaght.
The economy continues to deteriorate here. 100,000 people marched through Dublin yesterday, protesting at a levy imposed on public servants by the Government to help to fund their pensions. It was also a protest against the frolics of the bankers who have helped to get us into such a mess. I don't see how Brian Cowen can go on much longer, but no doubt he'll continue to hold out. I wonder will the Greens pull out of government soon.
Sunday 22 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment