Wednesday 11 February 2009

Here in America

I don't like travelling as much as I used to. As we flew into Newark, in an extremely bumpy landing, I found myself relieved (as I emptied the contents of my stomach into the nicely supplied bag) that the Hudson river was close enough to land in. How sad!

I was glad of the few hours between flights as I really didn't want to get onto a plane again, or rather my stomach didn't. The flight to Jacksonville was fine, though my stomach objected to the landing even after 5 hours of settling.

Monday was an interesting day as I spent it learning about the new system we are installing worldwide in HR. It went live here on 1st January, and they have had some "interesting" experiences that we need to avoid when we go live on 1st July. I wonder whether I will get summer holidays!

I'm in a different hotel from the one I was in on previous occasions. My bedroom overlooks a pleasant small lake, and there is a lovely big window to view it from, with a large desk to work on. It's 5.15am here and I've been awake for over an hour, so jet lag rules OK! Don't worry - I'll have got into the routine for here by Friday, when I then have to head home.

I went to the nearby shopping mall on Monday evening. It is very expensive and there were no sales on, so I didn't buy anything. Last night we had a group dinner, but tonight I might see if I can go to a normal shopping place. I perhaps need to keep reminding myself that my euro buys 1.28 dollars, but I am surprised at the prices all the same.

Yesterday morning I enjoyed watching CNN's reporting of Obama's first press conference. The commentators all declare for a particular political persuasion, so everything is coloured prior to them opening their mouths. I've found it is acceptable here to say that I like Obama, whereas I used to feel that it was prudent to keep my mouth shut on anything political. I still tread with caution, only saying something if asked directly.

Anyway, that's it for the moment.

1 comment:

CG said...

Plane-sickness sounds miserable. When I got sick on the way to France the couple next to me swapped seats because the woman thought I was so disgusting. That didn't really help.

Hope you sleep okay tonight!