Friday 13 February 2009

For some reason

I don't know why the link that leads me to the web-site on this (work)lap-top gives the instructions and locations in German. Luckily, I've worked out how to get here anyway.

Ho, hum, not so good news on the TV as I woke this morning. A Continental airlines plane went down, killing all on board, late yesterday evening. It was going between Newark and Buffalo. I'm flying Continental today, and into Newark. If you follow statistical probability this means that I may be going on the safest airline in the world today as the likelihood of 2 crashes happening to one airline within 24 hours is very small. On the other hand, that is not a logical statistic.

I'm reading a great book that I bought for Ian. It's called "Plato and Platypus walk into a bar.... Understanding philosophy - through jokes -" The jokes are hilarious, but make you think. One piece of advice given is that you should bring a bomb with you each time you go onto a plane, because that means that it is unlikely anyone else will as 2 bombers on a plane is a statistical unlikelihood. That's the same kind of logic as is in the last paragraph. Ian should enjoy it, but I hope he doesn't mind that I'm just checking it's suitable for him!

I went for a walk earlier as it is nice and sunny out and there is a kind of spring coolness in the air. I'll be stuck in airports for most of the day so it was good to stretch legs. There are no pavements here. Or, rather, there are occasionally bits of concrete that seem to be leading somewhere interesting, but then they stop in the middle of nowhere. Another thing I don't understand is the grass. It is very coarse-leaved, and completely brown. Why don't they import Irish grass? Is this a business opportunity in these straitened times? And one other thing - the lake/pond I'm looking out on from the hotel apparently has alligators in it, but I haven't yet seen any. I'm disappointed.

Anyway, I'm homeward bound and looking forward to being back.

No comments: