Well, we went exploring for our millenium tree yesterday, as promised. It was very exciting, b says, but Ian and I were less impressed. The dogs enjoyed the run, though. The forest is very close to Cloondavaun Bay, where we used to keep a boat, and is reasonably well marked. At the entrance to the soon-to-be forest there is a chart that shows what area your tree is in. Ours was about as far away from the entrance as you can get, so we set out over the hills.
I assume that they cut down a forested area in order to plant all these broad-leaved trees to celebrate the millenium. The scrub is in danger of taking over, but it is possible to pick out individual trees in rows. They are of mixed type, and were probably planted over a couple of years so vary in size.
We headed up the road and turned 2nd right. We went on down the hill and reached a dead end. There are no numbers on the trees so it isn't possible to decide which might be yours. It may be one of a thousand or so. We took a photo of one with our certificate.
On returning to the entrance we discovered we should have taken the 3rd turn on the right, so we'll just have to go there again some other day to find the true tree!
Today has been a nice lazy bank holiday day. I've been bumbling about in the garden most of the weekend so maybe some day there will be some growing things. I discovered that the pots the tomato plants are had no holes in the bottoms, which is why they were so waterlogged. b's knife helped out and water came streaming down the legs of my jeans. I hope I'm not too late to rescue the plants.
One useful task I did today was to unearth the trailer and put some scrap metal into it. b had fixed the towing hitch yesterday so we now have a means of bringing the metal to the recycling yard. It will take two journeys, but the first load is at least ready to go.
Ian and b have now headed to Waterford. Ian gets special treatment today as Leaving Cert exams officially start tomorrow (the first exams are on Wednesday).
Monday 4 June 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment