Friday 1 January 2010

Well, we've survived 2009

Indeed we have survived it well. What I'd like for 2010 is more free time to visit family and to spend in leisure on Knocknagow. Unfortunately that would mean having to give up what is a lucrative occupation, but maybe this year I will gain the strength to do something different, and be ready for the consequences.

Kristin arrived yesterday. It was a well planned surprise for Ian, and the real reason I was attempting to make a nut roast. So, the full family is here now, all 8 of us (that includes the 2 dogs!). It's very cold outside so I think we'll just batten down the hatches today and enjoy the splendid feast Brian has planned for us.

We'll also enjoy the second of the "Three men in a boat" series on BBC 2. They've picked a nice selection of modes of transport so far - a barge driven by a Bollinder engine, an amphibious car, a cycle-rail vehicle, and now they are on Reggie Goodbody's amazing wooden sailing boat. Mullingar pulled out all the stops for them, with a very good-humoured festival in their honour. It's a new view of Mullingar, and may help to show the citizens of Mullingar the value of the Royal Canal route once it is re-opened for the full circle.

I've just been listening to a fascinating, and emotional, interview with Lord Mountbatten's grandson. He was on the fishing boat that was blown up by the IRA, killing, inter alia, his twin brother and his grandfather. I'm sure it is available for listening to on Radio Eireann on the Ryan Tubridy show for today. I recommend spending 20 minutes of your time to hear it.

No comments: