Wednesday 23 December 2009

Pre-Christmas freeze

We're getting weather of biblical proportions here - rain first, and now "the big freeze". My thermometer registered -4.7C last night. It snowed on Sunday night and the snow is still lying in large quantities on the ground. I've never known that to happen before, when no further snow has fallen. There has been sun during the day, but not enough to bring the temperatures above freezing in spaces that don't get it shining directly.

The impact on me has been to reduce my energy for doing things. Or, is that a reaction to a busy autumn? This week was supposed to be spent doing all sorts of householdy things that I've neglected over the past few months. However, I find I'm doing the minimum. I have managed to tidy the glass-fronted shelves in the kitchen, though, and the glasses in it are all neatly in rows.

I've just made some really nice raspberry yoghurt ice cream. It is very creamy (proportions of cream and yoghurt match) and yummy. It just might last until Carolan and Andy come home, but maybe I should just make more.

The meat delivery from Jack McCarthy's didn't arrive yesterday. Disaster! The driver said we were up on a hill and so he couldn't reach us. I think that's excuse number 1 from the list of the top 10. In spite of the cold, the roads are very clear. We have been promised that he will arrive by lunch-time today.

No comments: