Monday 2 June 2008

Watch this space

Later in the day I intend to put up photos of my greenhouse and my growing garden. We have a salad glut at the moment so I'm trying to persuade b that we should eat salads every day. I still have very high hopes for my tomatoes. I've had to move some of them out of the greenhouse as there isn't enough space for them all, and some prefer to grow outdoors.

Yesterday b and I went to Youghal and took a boat trip up the River Blackwater. The trip normally only goes about 45 minutes up the river and then returns. b, however, persuaded him to go the full navigable length so we were on the boat for over 4 hours. He wanted to take photos of quaysides and anything that would be useful for his book. It's an unusual waterway as there are quite a number of huge old houses and castles along it, mostly still actively occupied. The finest is at the end, Lismore Castle, but we couldn't quite reach it in the boat. The houses are currently occupied by either multi-millionaire Irish people, or foreigners who have invested in a pad in Ireland. The river is very wide and ideal for occupations such as waterskiing - there were some people doing this, though generally it was deserted.

The day had started beautifully sunny and we enjoyed the journey to Youghal via the Vee Gap. Rhododendrons were in flower everywhere, with great purple swathes. I'll post a photo of them too.

Ian stayed at home as he was due to go to see a film, but Clare wasn't able to go as she had to feed her siblings. He walked the dogs, and it was strange to have a day where we didn't have to mind the dogs at every turn.

Talking of dogs, Goldie has got very stiff. He finds it hard to get up the steps on the way back home via the Castle Oaks and has to take it very slowly. He still loves his walks, though, and barks crazily to remind us to bring him.

More, in photos, later....

No comments: