Sunday 2 September 2007

Sea air

The men in my life decided that I needed fresh sea air to blow things out of my mind, so we headed off for west Clare yesterday afternoon. We found a lovely place for the dogs to go for a crazy run, at the less used end of Lahinch, and we all enjoyed the sea air.

I was fascinated by some surfers who were being pulled along by a large flying kite/sail-like object. It was difficult to work out how they could go in the opposite direction to the wind, but as we got near I saw that there seem to be a lot of adjustment strings that may make the kite get different wind directions. It was amazing, though, as one guy was going extremely fast across the water, and being pulled right up in the air every now and again. It must be exhilarating if you do it right.

We then went to Vaughans in Liscannor for a beautiful meal. I felt very sleepy on the way home, and had a good sleep last night. Those men in my life are very kind!

Today is rainy so my idea that I would do gardening and clean the outside of the windows has gone awry. Maybe I'll just read a book instead of doing all the housework I hate. I'm reading a book by Zultan Zinn-Collis, a survivor of the Holocaust and Bergen-Belsen camp, who was adopted by and Irishman, Bob Collis, and went to Newtown. It is fascinating, and horrific, but very readable.

I think the last person to leave Limerick has probably turned out the lights by now. Limerick has reached the all-Ireland hurling final for the first time in many years. I could hear the cars going past this morning on the main road heading for Croke Park, so there must have been lots of them.

No comments: