Sunday 6 May 2007

No need to water the garden today

It's a bank holiday weekend. We've had dry and sunny weather for weeks. But, today it is raining. That's not fair. I know it was forecasted, but still, you'd think the man above would be a bit more compassionate.

B commented yesterday that the garden is beginning to look like a garden. After 20 years in the house, it seems I've at last cracked it, at least for a week or so until the weeds take over. I now have peas, broad beans, runner beans, radishes, lettuces of various types, raspberries, spuds, beetroot, leeks, carrots, rhubarb, spinach, courgettes and tomatoes in various stages of growth. This means that some may never leave the seed stage, but at least I've tried. The front garden now needs tackling, but I might meet a politician if I went out there, so I'll use that as an excuse for the moment.

Election fever is at full pitch. Will the PDs push Bertie? Do they like their ministerial cars too much? Is it too much of a gamble? Ian is reading all the election literature and has questions to ask of those who come to our door. He is on the electoral register for the first time so wants to ensure he makes good use of his vote. He is even beginning to make the rest of us enthusiastic! One candidate's parents made the mistake of thinking he didn't have a vote when they called to the door, and spoke to him as if he needed to tell his parents the way to vote.

With the globalisation of human resources in our parent company at work I am required to have a career development assessment. It is supposed to be for me only, and nobody else is to see it other than the person from the consultancy company who gives me the feedback. Why, then, is it compulsory? I have to answer questions on a case study, and complete this within a week (a week from when, I'm not sure). It's not very fascinating so I'm having as much difficulty persuading myself to do it as Ian is having persuading himself to study.

The dogs have just gone off with the food bowl. Leavy loves to do this, but I'm not sure why. It is a noisy occupation. They are probably feeling a bit cooped up. I put some flea ointment on them yesterday and they aren't supposed to go into water for 48 hours after its application. That's difficult when they are walking near here, so our solution has been to occupy them here. They need a good run, though.

Newtown Chamber Choir won their competition in the Cork Choral Society yesterday, with the premiere of a piece writting for them in memory of Eric deCourcy. Well done them!

No comments: