It's elderflower time of year. Ian and I picked loads of elderflowers so I have cordial and champagne in the making. It smells good! Here is my champagne recipe, courtesy of "selfsufficientish"
8 litres (2 gallons) water
1.25 kg (2.5 lbs/5 cups) sugar
8 large elderflower heads
4 Lemons
4 tablespoons mild white wine vinegar
Boil the water and pour over the sugar to dissolve it. Cool and add the elderflowers, juice of the two lemons, slices of the other two and the vinegar. Cover with a cloth and leave for a day. Strain with a fine sieve or muslin cloth, squeezing the flowers as you do to release more flavour. Store in screw top bottles.
It will be ready in about 10 days to a fortnight and should be drunk within a month. <-----This is the part I'm at. Do you think it will be ready in time for Carolan to taste?
Also, in the garden I have mange-tout, lots of types of salad leaves, garlic, scallions and various herbs. Coming along nicely are beetroot, red onions, peas, broad beans, sweet corn and raspberries. For some reason my runner beans are struggling with the running bit and aren't getting far off the ground.
Wednesday 16 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment