Sunday 28 September 2008

Autumn sailing

We had a lovely, peaceful outing on Knocknagow yesterday. The sun was shining and the lake was calm. It was probably the last one of the season, which is sad. We headed further south on Lough Derg than we have been in her, rounding Parker's Point and heading in the direction of Killaloe. We turned back about half way down the stretch southwards. Boats were dotted around the lake - fishing boats, sailing boats, hire and private cruisers, speed-boats, and us.

Today we have been doing spring cleaning. b has cleaned out a couple of kitchen cupboards while I cleaned up the front room and put away some of the stuff we brought back from the boat yesterday. We're both exhausted now and feel we deserve a rest. A lamb had been cooking slowly in the oven since this morning. It's smelling good so I'm looking forward to dinner.

Last week was a particularly busy one. I had to be at work until late 3 evenings, presenting some changes in policies to various groups. It is stressful to do this kind of thing. On Friday evening I went out with some Avocent friends and "chilled". Before I knew it my watch told me it was 1 a.m. This is considerably beyond my bed-time!

All the activity has helped to avoid brooding on the empty nest here. We've been so used to having Ian around that it is very strange to find that he isn't here. The trip to Bristol last weekend was a bit sad for me. However, the campus is very impressive and I think his room is so nice that he won't want to come home. It sounds like he is enjoying himself. It is hard to be sad at his absence when he is doing something good.

Carolan is about to start her new job and is making a final visit home to us this week beforehand. She met her new boss last week so is all set for the start-up, having even got her hair ready!

In other news, the families at Rockspring are all doing what they said they'd be doing. Rebecca has gone to Manchester, Phelie has gone to Brussels, and the rest are around Rockspring. Phelie got accepted for the observations he wants to do in Palestine next spring, so he is excited about that. Granny and Grandpa had a nice holiday so are feeling refreshed.

That's all for now. I have to go and get some beetroot from the garden for our dinner.

No comments: