My tomoatoes are producing lots of little round (and, in some cases, oval) things and I'm looking forward to the day when they start to go red. I've spent a lot of time this weekend tying the vines to stakes so that the heavy tomatoes are held up and don't make the main stem collapse. I'm worried, though, that the leaves of some tomatoes are not as green as they ought to be and some have shrivelled and dried up. From my reading that means:
1. They have been watered too much and have too few nutrients, or
2. They have been watered too little and have too many nutrients.
Hmm - I really am not sure which it is. I have watered them a lot, but when I don't they can shrivel within a day, so I need to keep doing it. I have now rigged up some shelter on the greenhouse so that they aren't getting direct sunlight all day. I'll keep on talking to them and hope they respond. I'm encourage, though, by the fact that you are supposed to reduce the watering once the fruit is well set, and this coincides with holidays when I won't be able to water them anyway.
You should see my cucumbers, though - they just keep on coming!
I spent the rest of today getting ready for holidays. The front room has bedding, cutlery, plates and all sorts of things that we need for the boat. All we need now is for the boat to be ready, but that is looking reasonably good. B went up to visit yesterday and witnessed the engine starting on the first attempt - mind you, they were about to service it and that could cause problems that weren't there before!
Only 5 working days to holidays......
Sunday 20 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment