Monday 17 March 2008

Happy St Patrick's Day

It's nearly a month since I last blogged and I probably have lots to catch up on. However, since Ian is now at home and Carolan has visited twice in that time, they should be well up to date so I'll stick with current happenings.

It's great to have a day off today, and another one next Monday. As it is too early in the year to go to the boat I'm taking the opportunity to tidy up the garden. The exciting news is that my greenhouse arrives tomorrow. Ian and Brian will have to spend the day helping "the man" to put it up, so I'm hoping to come home to something very fancy.

Last night B and I attended a Slow Food meal in Country Choice and one of our friends there gave me some tomato plants. That will be the first thing to go in the greenhouse, even though these ones have to go outside later in the year.

As usual, the Slow Food event was very enjoyable. We were seated opposite an American couple who have lived in Spain since the 1970s. They were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary and her 60th birthday. He is a food writer, and friend of the American food writer who helps to organise the event, so had his notebook out for the evening. They were good company.

The main meat dish of the day was burgers from Ladybird. It does seem strange to be eating burgers at an event like this, but these were definetly special, as we have experienced many times before when we have bought them. The pavlova for dessert had the most perfectly soft base I've ever come across, with the tiny hint of crispiness on the outside. It was made by Anne Byrne of Brocka-on-the-Water, and we need to find our her secret!

I'm off to do some gardening now, but may blog again later.

No comments: