Sunday 4 January 2009

Ice cream and sorbet

My ice cream maker has been churning out about one ice cream or sorbet type per day, but I will probably put it away for a while after today. My favourites so far are the champagne sorbet we made on Christmas day, and the melon sorbet (secret ingredient was brandy) I made a couple of days ago. I've also made chocolate ice cream, fruit salad ice cream (with the remains of my fresh fruit salad juices), strawberry ice cream (delicious!), caramel (unsuccessful and had to be thrown out), and kiwi sorbet. I think that's the lot. Today I will make ice cream with pecan nuts. If I could find marscapone in a shop I'd try using it as it would be an interesting substitute for cream. I should also try making it with yoghurt. Hmm, maybe I need to keep the equipment out on the counter for a bit longer...

Yesterday I attended 2 funerals. They were so different, with one having about 1,000 people there, and the other only a couple of dozen people. That is perhaps the right way, as the bigger was for a 16 year old who had died with 2 others in a car accident near Nenagh. The other was for someone who had reached a good age.

Today is the last day of my holidays. Routine starts again tomorrow, with the alarm already set for 7am. It's so cold out that the holiday hasn't been conducive to getting up and doing things around the house, though that isn't really logical as it would get my circulation going. However, as a result I've done lots of reading, and played far too much of shooting bubbles. I am definitely rested, so the return to work is much easier. Given a choice of times to take off work I would go for the summer, but I also think that a break is needed in the winter just so that we can see the light every now and again.

Safe driving to those returning to London today. It looks cold on the weather map.

No comments: